Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Stachys byzantina

http://dutchmasternurseriesltd.com/

This soft biennial plant goes by many names. It was previously named Stachys olympia or it is called S. byzantina olympia (I cannot find who named this, all records of creditable do not use this name). Stachys byzantina was the name given to it by K. Koch and it the one I shall be using. This plant is not to be confused with a close relative S. lanata which is a fuzzy annual and does not grow nearly as tall and tends to grow in clumps. S. byzantina goes by many common names, I've known it as lamb's ear, variations include woolly lamb's ear, fuzzy wuzzy, lamb's tongue, large lamb's ear, and woolly hedgenettle. It is very difficult with common names with this plant because many plants very similar to this plant have the same common names. The Latin name is derived from it's ancestral location where as the common names tend to reflect the large soft leaves.



RankScientific Name and Common Name
KingdomPlantae – Plants
SubkingdomTracheobionta – Vascular plants
SuperdivisionSpermatophyta – Seed plants
DivisionMagnoliophyta – Flowering plants
ClassMagnoliopsida – Dicotyledons
SubclassAsteridae
OrderLamiales
FamilyLamiaceae – Mint family
GenusStachys L. – hedgenettle
SpeciesStachys byzantina K. Koch – woolly hedgenettle
http://plants.usda.gov/

I have always liked this plant, it grows as a weed where I was raised and I used to fight my mother over weeding this plant or letting it grow unchecked. The plant can often be found in areas where stinging nettles often grow. It is a good signal plant to me that stinging nettles are close by. I have also used this plant many times for blowing my nose while on a hike. The purple flowers are small but are very lovely too look at against the whitish fur.

http://florapittsburghensis.wordpress.com/

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your list of common names (“fuzzy wuzzy”?!) and also the fact that you point out the difference in the descriptors in the Latin vs. the common names. You tell us that it grows as a weed where you were raised – where was this? I like the association you point out with sticking nettles – these are much easier to spot that nettles are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was raised in Southern Wisconsin. Not only are they easier to spot, but I like to keep an eye on them in case I need a quick tissue.

    ReplyDelete